Thurs, Apr 25, 4 pm - 7 pm
Mississippi Lounge - Coffman Memorial Union - East Bank Campus
Sat, Apr 27, 9 am - 3 pm
First-Floor Atrium - Ruttan Hall - St. Paul Campus
Community outreach is an integral part of Frenatae’s mission statement, and our members are dedicated to sharing our knowledge and passion for entomology with the greater Minnesota community. We have a very active public education program, completely run by volunteering students and staff. Any given year, our dedicated members volunteer at events like the State Fair, Market Science, Girl and Boy Scouts, and numerous K-12 classroom visits. This year we are very excited to announce our own inaugeral community and educational event in partnership with the University of Minnesota -Department of Entomology!
The first annual Great Minnsect Show will be held in two parts on Thursday, April 25 and Saturday, April 27, 2019.
All things new and interesting in the world of insects and their arthropod allies will be on display for the public to share, including:
- Educational and career advice for those who want to study and work with insects
- Interactive displays showcasing the amazing research by scientists and students in the Department of Entomology. Learn about everything from bees to bed bugs!
- Insect-themed games and activities for all ages! Come make your own antennae, race cockroaches, pet bugs and earn prizes!
- Information on how we live with insects will be presented by industry, educators, and non-profit organizations. Including:
- The Bell Museum
- Monarch Joint Venture
- Minnesota Zoo
- Minnesota Department of Agriculture
- UMN Libraries
- and more!
The event will kick off with on Thursday April 25 in the Mississippi Lounge at Coffman Memorial Union on the East Bank of the Twin Cities U of M Campus. Students at every stage of their academic careers are invited to meet with faculty from Entomology, students in the Entomology minor, and graduate students in Entomology. There will also be representatives from local industries and organizations who employ people with entomology backgrounds.
On Saturday, April 27, The Great Minnsect Show moves to the first-floor atrium of Ruttan Hall on the St. Paul Campus. This community-focused event will include an insect petting zoo, games, an insect photo 'salon', a chance to taste insect-based snacks, and numerous other information and display booths.